idea for a universal disk interface

Tom Gardner tom94022 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 16 16:32:30 CDT 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: Guy Sotomayor [mailto:ggs at shiresoft.com]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2022 3:25 PM
To: t.gardner at computer.org; cctech at classiccmp.org
Subject: Re: idea for a universal disk interface

I'm looking at what the spec says.  ;-)  The read command delay from the head set command is 15us (so I was wrong) but still not a lot of time (that is after a head set, a read command must be at least 15us later).

<snip>

-----
And after the read command is given there is a gap, usually all zeros, at the end of which is a sync byte which is then followed by the first good data (or header) byte.  In SMD the gaps can be  20 or 30 bytes long so there is quite a bit of time until good data.

Tom