Retro networking / WAN communities

Dave Mitton dave at mitton.com
Fri Apr 15 09:38:14 CDT 2022

Texas Instruments was the first second source to create a Token Ring chipset, the TMS380.   When we pointed out to them some the IBM’ism features we’d prefer to be fixed for 802.x compatibility  they claimed they couldn’t because of legal agreements with IBM.   The TI chipset had other issues and was not register compatible with IBM’s implementation.

Later IBM worked with National Semiconductor to release the TROPIC chipset that was used by Madge and others.
Some info I found here:   https://www.ardent-tool.com/NIC/TROPIC.html

Dave.