idea for a universal disk interface

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Apr 13 20:45:07 CDT 2022

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022, Paul Koning wrote:
> Indeed.  Though even that is hard for the more exotic formats, if
> original controllers are unavailable.  How would you read, for example,
> an IBM 1620 or CDC 6600 disk pack, given that the machine is hard to
> find and those that exists may not have the right controllers?  But both
> are certainly doable with a "generic" track extractor engine.  Turning
> track waveforms into data then becomes a matter of reverse engineering
> the encoding and constructing the software to do that.  This may be
> hard, or not so hard.  For example, if you wanted to do this for a CDC
> 844 disk pack (RP04/06 lookalike but with 322 12-bit word sectors) you'd
> get a lot of help from the fact that the source code of the disk
> controller firmware, and the manual describing it, have been preserved.
>
> Then as you said the real goal is to recover files, which means also
> having to reverse engineer the file system.  That too may be documented
> adequately (it is in the 6600 case, for example) or not so much (does
> such documentation, or the OS source code, exists for the 1620 disk
> operating system?).

Some projects are well beyond the reach of even the most insane of us.

I don't think that any of us here today have the ability to build a
replacement drive from scratch.  Even with full access to the original
construction documents.

Now, if we had NSA level of facilities, . . .
It certainly seems that it would be THEORETICALLY POSSIBLE, with an
extreme budget, to build a high resolution device similar to the 3M
Magnetic Tape viewer, . . .
https://blog.adafruit.com/2020/03/01/the-magnetic-tape-viewer-see-the-sound-on-a-tape/
. . . and use it to make optical imaging of the magnetic recording,
followed by non-trivial analysis to decode that into track images, and
then ultimately deciphering the encoding, track structure, and then
directory structure, . . .
It is certainly not feasible now, but someday, . . .

I have a RAMAC platter!
It is seriously FAR too damaged to consider restoring it to usable form.
I was also told that it was extensively "degaussed" when it was
discarded (possibly by Zellerbach Paper).
100 cylinders (with 100 heads in assembled structure), holding 5 million 6
bit characters, or a bit less than 100K per platter.
So, I am making a 24" patio table out of it (under 3/8" tempered glass).
http://www.ed-thelen.org/RAMAC/RAMAC_Plaque_v40.pdf

When Khrshchev was denied access to go to Disneyland, they took him on a
tour of the RAMAC factory, "to make up for it".   _I_ would rather be at
the RAMAC factory in 1959 than at Disneyland, but the Khrushchevs were
disappointed.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com