idea for a universal disk interface

Tom Gardner tom94022 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 13:51:03 CDT 2022

Interesting idea, there are three broad classes of HDD interfaces:

1.       Dumb, that is serial data and parallel control

2.       Intelligent parallel

3.       Intelligent serial

IMO if you can do dumb interraces then the others follow and given today’s technology I suspect it is feasible

Within the dumb group there are several “standards” with very similar controls but with different data rates and track formats

*         2311/2314 including PCM versions

*         DEC RL0x which is pretty much the same as 2311/2314 except interface voltages and goes up to 200 MB disk pack drives, maybe higher

*         Diablo which is a simplified control version of RL0x

*         SMD which is an enhanced control version of RL0x

*         ST502/412/412 RLL which is a simplified control version of RL0x

*         ESDI which unfortunately serialized some of the control over the parallel interface otherwise similar to RL0x

There are a few others like ANSI and CalComp but they are probably not worth investigating.

I don’t know who invented the 1311 interface but IMHO he spawned an industry :)

I think the maximum data rate is something on the order of 15 MHz so one ought to be able to read in an entire track at a sufficiently high data rate so as to be able to decode the data  using an appropriately programmed DSP.  Essentially all the hardware used for serializing/deserializing, formatting/deformatting and ECC in a traditional controller reduced to firmware

Likewise there is a maximum number of control pins and only two voltage signaling levels (IBMs and DTL) so a combination of a programmable transceiver with a personality module ought to allow connection to and signaling with any physical device.  Communicating control and status then is also a programming exercise

Writing all the firmware would be a challenge but in the end you would be dealing with an array of blocks of good data, which would then be the starting point for tackling  the intelligent interfaces which purport to start and stop at the same array of blocks of good data.  I think u might be able to make this work with all the flavors of SCSI (with maybe a DSP on the personality module to handle the bus states) but good luck with intelligent serial interfaces.

Just my 2 cents :)

tom