TRS-80 Question

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Apr 12 14:46:07 CDT 2022

On Tue, 12 Apr 2022, Yeechang Lee via cctech wrote:
> Is this the hole that causes stock Model I to not run CP/M?

NO.
The problem with CP/M on TRS80 is that CP/M expects RAM from location 0 on
up.
Location 0 - FFh are used as a data structure for running programs, with
location 100h and up as the "transient Program Area", where programs load
and run.
TRS80 has ROM in bottom 16K.

There did exist MODIFIED CP/M ("FMG") that loaded above ROM, and ran
programs that weren't too "hard-wired" to expect specific load location.

Parasitic Engineering (Howard Fullmer) and Omikron Mapper both made
sandwich boards for the model 1 that moved things (under software control)
to run "real" CP/M.  They both ALSO sold 8" drive conversions for the
Expansion Interface.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com