Retro networking / WAN communities

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Apr 12 13:08:13 CDT 2022

On 4/12/22 10:44, Todd Goodman via cctalk wrote:

> To me a hub is a layer 1 device (physical layer) that doesn't look at
> the traffic at all while the bridge does look at the traffic and
> generally implements 802.1d Spanning Tree Protocol and processes BPDUs.

Hub is a nebulous term.   For example, I've got a couple of NS
"Datamover" 10Base boxes that take the WAN connection via 10base2 and
distribute it via 10BaseT; absolutely dumb boxes without any
intelligence at all.   I also have some Farallon 100baseT boxes that
appear to provide filtering and logon for WAN connections.  Of course,
many hubs include NAT, port moderation, etc.

Personally, I don't care, so long as the things work.

--Chuck