TRS-80 Question

Peter Cetinski pete at pski.net
Tue Apr 12 10:49:59 CDT 2022

> On 4/12/22 6:37 AM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
>> So, this just gets more and more confusing. (Have I really been away
>> from all this for that long!!!)
>> I dug up the tech manuals for the two of them (buried deep in my
>> stacks of books) and compared them.  And you are, of course, right.
>> Which just brings more questions.
>> Why do Model I cassette programs (not BASIC) not run on the Model III?

Model I machine language cassette programs will run just fine on the Model III given that the restrictions on direct hardware access mentioned are respected.
For example, for my game RoundUp!, you can load the 500 baud tape version on the Model I or Model III just fine.  Of course, you need to specify “L” for low rate baud of 500 at the Model III Cassette? prompt.  The model I only supports 500 baud cassettes.