Retro networking / WAN communities

Andrew Back andrew at carrierdetect.com
Mon Apr 11 13:25:32 CDT 2022

On 11/04/2022 18:02, Grant Taylor via cctech wrote:

> Does anyone know of any communities / mailing lists / newsgroups / et
> al. for retro networking / WAN technologies?
>
> I find myself interested in (at least) the following and would like to
> find others with similar (dis)interests to chat about things.
>
>    - 10Base5 / 10Base2 / 10BaseT
>    - ISDN
>    - DSL / ADSL / SDSL / HDSL
>    - T1 / E1
>    - ATM
>    - Frame Relay
>    - ARCnet
>    - PSTN / PBX / PABX

The Osmocom community have a retro networking project, with projects
including TDM over IP.

https://osmocom.org/projects/retronetworking/wiki/

They have also created an open hardware USB E1 interface that can be
used with the aforementioned, as well as with older GSM base stations
which implement Abis over E1 (which you can then operate with the
Osmocom CNI software stack).

https://osmocom.org/projects/e1-t1-adapter/wiki/IcE1usb

There's also Osmocom-Analog, if your interests extend to retro cellular.

http://osmocom-analog.eversberg.eu/

Andrew