Possibly going up to VCF, stuff I would like to sell/get to proper people pdp8/12/HP stuff

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 12:37:06 CDT 2022

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 8:43 AM Chris Zach <cz at alembic.crystel.com> wrote:
> On 4/10/2022 6:05 PM, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> >> Ton of pdp8/12 IO cables. These are the black circular wire ones, I
> >> think negibus.
> >
> > There's definitely some discussion going on about those.  They are
> > desired by 12-bit folks.
>
> *nod* To me classic computer stuff falls into two categories. There is
> stuff that is common so you sell it for a reasonable price or trade it
> or whatnot on Ebay/whatever. Q bus boards, systems, normal pdp11's,
> stuff like that. You just either sell it on Ebay (whatever) or give it
> to someone for a minimal cost of shipping and handling who has a system
> and really needs it (think 11/24 CPU boards)

Sure.

> Then there is the stuff that is "priceless" and goes for stupid amounts...

Agreed.

> The IO cables fall into the latter category. So what's the best way to
> have them find a home with a person who will use them and not just
> another trophy in a box of parts or an exhibit in some museum?

Thunderdome?  ;-)

But seriously, probably to ask here and on the Classic Computer
Discord channel (a mix of folks from here and not from here, mostly
US-based) who could even use such a thing.

I have a couple of Negibus machines.  The only one I'm really missing
cables for is a PDP-8/S, so I can connect up a PT08 once I
find/fabricate one.  If someone had a PDP-12 or LINC-8, that would be,
to me, a higher priority need (especially since I haven't even
relamped my -8/S yet).  I wish I'd gotten the ASR-33 that originally
came with it (since some had the PT08 in the base) but alas, that was
gone before I got there.

Events like VCF concentrate the interested population - I've been part
of a "12-bit panel", up on stage with Kyle Owen, Jack Rubin, Vince
Slyngstad, etc., exactly the sort of people who would _use_ I/O cables
not flip them.

Trade stuff is harder.  I know you are seeking external memory boxes
for the -8/L, but those are quite rare.  I just have the one and it's
not an extra.  Any 12-bit spare parts I might have are Omnibus bits.

Cheers,

-ethan