Dialcom, Telenet and The Source was Re: restoring a Silent 700 Model 765

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Sun Apr 10 19:08:03 CDT 2022

Wow.

Thanks for an excellent trip down memory lane. One oddity, I think I was
dialing into TYMNET as when I would call in it would say.

PLEASE TYPE YOUR TERMINAL IDENTIFIER
You would type "A" for ASCII. This would print very slowly, character by
character at about 110 baud. I think it was for either ASCII or EBCDIC.

Then you would get
PLEASE LOG IN

And I'd type something.

Then it would say:
P400 is online
Please sign on.

At which point you would type ID and your source username and password.

Great for playing Star Trek if I recall. The version I remember would
actually have the Klingon attack you even while you were typing, IE it
was not a turn by turn game. Fun....

CZ