UNIBUS powoer on/off spec

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Apr 6 08:27:53 CDT 2022

> On Apr 6, 2022, at 9:20 AM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I have been told that at one point Google was 'downgrading' results that used
> plain HTTP, instead of HTTPS, because they were trying to push people to
> switch to HTTPS (this was when everyone was hyperventilating over the Snowden
> revelations). Given the near-ubiquitous use of HTTPS these days, I'd have
> thought that piece of 'information credit engineering' by our tech overlords
> was past its 'sell by' date, and now serves primarily to block people from
> finding the material they are looking for (as here).

That's a classic example of a rule invented by people who can't think.  In fact, HTTP is perfectly fine for sites that arenot conducting web-based business activity.  Blogs are a good example, and I know at least one that runs HTTP for the simple reason that nothing else is needed.   Bitsavers is another example; nothing would be gained by adding all the overhead inflicted by HTTPS.

	paul