Core memory

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Apr 1 19:32:24 CDT 2022

> On Apr 1, 2022, at 5:13 PM, Brent Hilpert via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 2022-Apr-01, at 11:51 AM, Paul Koning wrote:

>>> Well, it would still work for 1-bit-wide words, so to speak. One wonders what the application was.
>>
>> I wonder if the sense wire was used as inhibit during write cycles -- that seems doable.  It would make the core plane simpler at the expense of more complex electronics.  With that approach, you have regular memory, not limited to 1 bit words.
>
> Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but offhand I'm initially skeptical without doing the math or some good vector diagrams, or seeing an example. With the diagonal wire you're changing the current/magnetic sum vectors in direction and magnitude. The question is coming up with a current that reliably performs the cancellation function on the selected core of a bit-array while reliably *not* selecting another core, while accounting for all the variation tolerances in the array.
>
> While there's probably some value by which it would work in theory, I wonder whether the diagonal wire would narrow the operating margins. From some stuff I've seen, the hysteresis curves for cores weren't spectacularly square. With the usual 3D-3wire scheme of a close parallel inhibit wire you have 'cancellation by simplicity', you maximise the difference (cancellation) influence on one wire while minimising it's sum influence on the other.
>
> A related issue is the normal diagonal sense stringing (which this looks to have) has the wire entering the cores from both directions relative to the address wires, which is why sense amplifiers respond to pulses of both polarity. If this diagonal wire is put to use as an inhibit wire, some logic is needed to decide the direction of the inhibit current from the address, though that may not be very difficult.

You're right about the diagonal wiring, that suggests the idea isn't very practical.  I suppose another possibility for a 3-wire core plane is that it's linear-select with inhibit (as, for example, in CDC 6000 series ECS, extended core storage).

Speaking of CDC and inhibit, the CDC mainframe memories (12 bit by 4k modules) are peculiar in that they have inhibit wire pairs, one X and one Y, and four of them in each direction so a given inhibit acts on a 1/16th square of the full plane.  The best reason I can figure for this is to have the number of cores traversed by the inhibit wires and by the address wires to be roughly the same, so the inductance is fairly consistent and a single design of ultra high speed current pulse drivers will work for all of them.  The drivers used are current diversion drivers -- they don't switch on and off, instead they switch the current from an idling path to the core wire.  It's pretty wild stuff, one of the 6600 training manuals describes it in a lot of detail.  My assumption is that all this was done to achieve the unusually high speed: 1 microsecond full read/restore cycle in 1964.

	paul