Glass memory?

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 1 17:34:09 CDT 2022

On 4/1/22 16:17, Mike Stein via cctalk wrote:
> Hey, I've got one of those somewhere (the delay line, not the terminal ;-)
> )!
>
> I do still use the cabinet as a desk, as well as a few parts here and
> there; to think that today something like an Arduino nano can replace that
> desk-sized cabinet containing a substantial power supply and a card cage
> with at least a dozen cards IIRC... I'm still amazed by how far we've come
> in less than my lifetime...

I was amazed 40 years ago.  I was trained by the Army as a Systems
Analyst/Programmer.  At the time what was called "The Army Standard
System" was an IBM 360/40.  It came with 3 semi tractors to pull the
two semi-trailers that held the computer and the third pulled the
generator it tool to run them.  I got my first unix system for my
home in 1984.  It was a pre-release of the Tandy Model 16.  It fit
on my desk.  Had more memory than a 360/40.  Had more storage than
a 360/40 and handled more users than a 360/40.  It cost less than
10% of a 360/40.  I actually got mine for nothing but that's another
story. :-)

And, as you say, an Arduino or a Pi that fits in my pocket is orders
of magnitude more powerful and costs pocket money.

Of course, sometimes I still miss the old days and old ways.  :-)
But then, isn't that why we are all here?

bill