Terminal Emulator

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Thu Sep 30 15:45:22 CDT 2021

I've been using a terminal emulator called ZOC. It comes in Windows and Mac flavors (I use the Mac) It seems to fit most of your criteria.  I've been using it since V6 (current is V8) for connection to many different PDP-11's, VAXen, Alphas, RasPi, device serial ports on switches, routers and storage servers. Setup can be a bit confusing at first.  The app manages config files for keyboard types (yes, keyboards are configurable - somewhat) and connection types.  I ended up creating a generic standard config for VAXen, PDP, Alpha, etc and then saving a customized version for each individual system.  They all get linked together by the connection manager.

Product Page: https://www.emtec.com/zoc/index.html
Features:  https://www.emtec.com/zoc/features.html

It has a 30 day free trial with no limitations so you can try it and see.

On 9/30/2021 1:57 PM, Mike Katz via cctalk wrote:
> I am looking for a good terminal emulator.  Not for connecting to older computers serially but to connect with my embedded designs.
> Do any of you have any recommendations.
>
> I've been using Realterm for years but it's not very good.
>
> I used UCON, hyper term, terra term, telix (going way back) and a few I can't remember the name of.
>
> Here are my needs:
>
> 1.  Runs under Windows 10 (linux optionally)
     Yes - Windows 7, 8 , 10 and probably 11 when it comes
> 2. Has user selectable baud rates (I use 500K baud frequently)
     Yes - Baud rates from 300 to 921600 (460800 is the closest to 500k)
> 3. Can use any Windows Com Port.
     Not sure as I don't use Windows but I imagine any COM port will work
> 4. Can send files as raw binary
     Yes - Raw Binary or as ASCII
> 5. Has X-modem built in (nice but optional)
     Yes - XModem, ZModem, YMode, Kermit, SCP, Sealink (?)
> 6. Has some kind of basic VT-100 support
     Yes - VT100 or VT200 plus other Non-DEC
> 7. Can display both ascii characters and binary data has hex numbers, preferably on alternate lines (hex above the ascii character like this:
>         45 76 65 72 79
>          E    V   E   R   Y
     No...  I don't see an option for this.  But I've never seen an emulator that does.  You have one?
> 8. Can send short manually entered strings in hex or ascii.
     Doesn't appear to be able to do this.  But it might be possible with a programmed macro (yes, it has a scripting language)
> 9. Can recognize protocols (based on start and/or end of text characters)
     Might be possible with the scripting language.
> 10. Costs less than $100
     Price is $79.99 US or €79 for a version license.  Currently V8. When V9 comes then upgrade is $29.99 US or €29
> 11. Can Capture what comes in the port
     Yes - Multiple logging and screen capture options
> 12. Has local echo (when connected to systems that don't echo what you type)
     Yes - Part of terminal settings
> 13. Has a large scroll back buffer.
     Yes - user selectable to about as large as your computer can handle
> 14. Has programmable macro buttons or function keys.
     Yes - Optional Tool bar and user defined buttons
> 15. Can handle removal and insertion of the TTL to Serial USB converter without crashing.
     I don't think I have tried.  There have been a couple times when it's hung up on me but that was possibly odd output from a bum serial port.

--
John H. Reinhardt