Programming Bipolar PROMs

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 12:57:11 CDT 2021

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 8:23 AM Tom Hunter via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> The part is an Intersil IM5600CP, but these were also made by others, for
> example Signetics and Philips made the 82S23 and TI and NTE made the faster
> SN74S188N. Some vendors still sell these parts and there are even a few on
> Ebay.
>
> How do I program these PROMs? I found one somewhat obscure description of
> the algorithm in the NTE datasheet, but I suspect that each manufacturer
> had (somewhat) different algorithms.
>
> Is there an affordable commercial programmer out there which can program
> these PROMs?

How do you program a single bipolar PROM as a one time occurance? Find
someone willing to do it for you for the cost of the postage  :)

Are there affordable commercial programmers which can reliably program
bipolar PROMs with device vendor approved programming algorithms? I
have an older Data I/O UniSite and a newer BP Microsystems BP-1610
which between the two of them can cover the majority of those older
devices, and the BP-1610 is currently supported with regular software
updates. I wouldn't call either of those two programmers "affordable",
and you have to be patient to pick one up on eBay.

The older parallel port interface BP-1200 and BP-1400 device
programmers probably have the same bipolar PROM support as the
BP-1610, and can more often be found at somewhat reasonable prices on
eBay, but software updates for new devices were discontinued for those
non-USB interface programmers several years ago.