An American perspective on the late great Sir Clive Sinclair, from Fast Company

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 06:38:01 CDT 2021

On 9/26/21 9:05 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> I found this interesting for perspective. The British media (and
> AFAICS of Australia, New Zealand and several bits of Europe) have been
> saturated with coverage of a much-loved, widely-celebrated and revered
> hero of tech.
>
> As FC points out, even the American _tech_ media barely noticed.

 From the other side of that, growing up in the UK, nobody I knew talked
about Apple or Atari, and Commodore was only on the radar because of the
C64's capability as a games machine (and later the Amiga) - I don't think I
even saw a PET prior to 2005, although I know there were a few infestations
of them here and there :-)

In other words, I'm not entirely surprised.

Thoughts on what might have happened had the BBC's Computer Literacy
Project never come about? Sometimes I wonder about that. Acorn might have
remained more focused on business hardware, and the Spectrum would have
appeared but perhaps not taken off in the way that it did. Would other
competing domestic machines have become more widespread? Or would the
country have seen the likes of Apple get a foothold earlier than they did?

Jules