Burnable, patched Microvax-2000 SCSI-boot EPROM images?

Jonathan Stone kiwi_jonathan at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 15:17:49 CDT 2021

On Tuesday, September 21, 2021, 05:39:23 AM PDT, Holm Tiffe via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>I've tried this almost 2 years before..and it worked "somewhat".
>An VS2000 booted up in the first stage but the NetBSD Kernel couldn't
>mount root since nothing in the loader expected a disk at the NCR SCSI
>interface on the VS2000. Ragge agreed to look at this (bootcode) on my
>VS2000, but I'vwe couldn't get an ssh connection from the internet to
>an VS3100 M76 to which the VS2000 console was connected to..to work..

I once "owned" the NetBSD MIPS port, and I've done VAX assembly and kernel code j(e.g., VMS device drivers). If I can't figure it out by comparison to 3100 code, I'll contact Ragge and set up remote access via a BCC08, a NetBSD laptop, and serial. (At least one of the VS200s is jumpered to Vaxstation mode, and I have two GPX daughter-cards on order.)

>For yure I could burn the proms, but I think I'm on the other side of
>the pond..

I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area. I came here for grad school and never left.

 It may be time for me to buy a PROM programmer. Anyone got recommendations for a budget device? "Amazon's choice" is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082D5NQ2P. The costlier option includes 10 different sockets, and it claims support for 29xxx and 29Cxxx EPROMs, plus lots of others.

The DEC-badged Data-IO " on eBay is tempting, but expensive, and I don't know where to find software.