Burnable, patched Microvax-2000 SCSI-boot EPROM images?

Jonathan Stone kiwi_jonathan at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 11:00:22 CDT 2021

 The RD53s in both Microvax 2000s are dead. I'm reluctant to buy more 30+ year old rotating media.
If I'm going to buy a disk emulator, I'd much prefer SCSI to MFM, for the obvious performance reasons.

Reseller price for a Maxtor XT-2190 (RD54) is just over US $1000. Disk Emulators are significantly cheaper.

Thirty years ago I did 4.3BSD-Tahoe kernel hacking on a Vaxstation-II/RC with two RD53s. One of the spindles was very noisy, I think from the bearing. I really like the quiet of scsi2sd in my DECstation 5000s (and soon, Alpha 3000/500s and a /700).

 One of the reasons I got the 2000s is to format MFM drives for an RQDX3 (I don't have any PDP-11 CPUs). I have a CMD CQD-420 Qbus SCSi controller, and an MTI almost-equivalent. I've seen Glen Slick's reverse engineering of the PLD for the CDQ-200. I hope the newer MTI board "just works"; but if not, MFM is a fallback.