HP-UX on HP 9000/217

Larkin Nickle me at larbob.org
Mon Sep 13 19:21:59 CDT 2021

Hey all,

	According to
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/hp/9000_200/9000-200_periphSupp_Dec89.pdf
(see PDF page 2), it seems as if HP-UX 5.1 should work on the 9000/217.
http://hparchive.com/Catalogs/HP-Catalog-1986.pdf also seems to confirm
this (PDF page 71 under Series 200 Bundled Systems, it's mentioned that
the Model 217 can run single-user HP-UX). However, there seems to be
conflicted information based on people that I've talked to and the
hpmuseum page with a copy of HP-UX 5.1 whether it should work at all,
whether 5.1 is a unified release where the boot floppy should work on
both series 200 and 300, or whether there's another boot floppy for
series 200 which apparently has not been archived.

	I recently obtained a Model 217 and would like to know if anyone has
more info on this, the two people that I know of that have tried it get
a hang on boot.

Thanks,
Larkin