K12MIT on PDP-12

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Nov 25 03:15:55 CST 2021

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021, Vincent Slyngstad wrote:
> Are you running SerialDisk on the same DP12 that K12MIT is trying to use?
> That might not work well, though I'm not sure why K12MIT would commit suicide
> about it.

Hmm... good point, I think that I have tried both, from LINCtape and from
SerialDisk. I know, the latter won't work, but at least I should get the
prompt, no?

> I haven't had much use for K12MIT -- the tools that come with the latest
> SerialDisk can take apart and rebuild/modify bootable/server images, so I
> just copy whatever to or the directory those tools are using and rebuild the
> image (or re-explode the server image and copy it out, to go the other way).

I haven't understood the tools to build these disk images. There is no
documentation IIRC. But I use SIMH and have a transfer disk image that I
can mount with SerialDisk. There is one nuisance, though: SerialDisk won't
see the updated image unless restarted. The advantage of SIMH is that I
can "import" paper tape images (BIN or ASCII). That is something even PUTR
can't accomplish.

Christian