The precarious state of classic software and hardware preservation

John Ames commodorejohn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 13:50:10 CST 2021

> On 2021-11-21 9:45 a.m., Adam Thornton via cctalk wrote:
>> On 11/19/21 9:33 PM, Steve Malikoff via cctalk wrote:
>>
>> And what happens when you wake  up one morning to find archive.org is
>> gone, too?
>>

> Fundamentally, eventually we're all going to be indistinguishable
> mass-components inside the supermassive black hole that used to be the
> Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies anyway.
>
> Smoke 'em while you got 'em.
Yeah, I had a long, hard think about this while the Caldor Fire was
looking like it was about to come knocking on my doorstep this fall
and I was trying to prep myself for a short-notice evacuation and
decide what I could and couldn't take (read: leave stowed in the trunk
of the car for the next couple weeks.) Ultimately, while I'd *like*
what I have and enjoy to pass on to someone else once I get busy
decomposing, in the long run it's all dust, so I'm not gonna worry
myself too much over it.