Intel 4004 turns 50

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 17 21:00:27 CST 2021

The rarest 4004s are the grey trace with a black dot, instead of the gold dot for pin one.
I have two grey trace but with gold dot. I believe these are older than the grey trace with black dot.
Although, as originally sold, the 4004 was a Harvard architecture,  it could be made to be, easily, made to be a von Neumann machine with either a 4008/4009 set or a 4289.
I don't know if that was ever done, other than for the Mod 4 development machine.
The 4004 had no interrupt but the later 4040 did.
Dwight