I-4004

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Tue Nov 16 18:30:11 CST 2021

On 2021-11-16 4:41 p.m., Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:

> Yes, there were prior machines, but the 4004 is ARGUABLY the first
> successful commercial mass-produced one.
> There were others, from TI, Fairchild, Four-Phase?, etc.
> As usual, the label "FIRST" is questionable due to whether we count
> announcement, prototypes, demos, shipping, etc.

I think the first to sell at $5 or some other magic price number was most
important. For $75 more you can get a state of the art toaster, with one
touch browning and a free remote.

> Some call the 5150, the start of the END of classic computing, or at
> least of the hobby dominated field.

The lack of good front panel I say was end of classic computing.
After that every thing was the same black box computer,
and C compiler.

>> Happy computing all.
>> Murray  🙂
IBM IS EVIL. LIKE BIG BROTHER FROM 1984.
Well regards to in my view to open ideas in computing hardware and
software up until the internet.

> --
> Grumpy Ol' Fred             cisin at xenosoft.com
Ben.