I-4004

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Tue Nov 16 18:08:23 CST 2021

On 11/16/2021 2:20 PM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
> On 11/16/21 2:08 PM, Murray McCullough via cctalk wrote:
>> Did the 4004 chip start our interest in microcomputing?
>
> no

I got interested in microprogramming  before it was hijacked as a a term
for such devices.  It's generous at best to apply that term to a 4004
anyway.

In 1971 firmware and the like still was still very much something that
was used in conjunction with system design.  A group was very active,
SIGMicro to share techniques.  Only after most microprogramming vanished
into a black hole in the silicon did it taper off.

I'm glad some amount of that discipline has emerged in that context, and
not applied to small ceramic chips with gold legs.

thanks
Jim