IEEE-488 on the PDP-11

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Nov 16 17:51:38 CST 2021

On Tue, 16 Nov 2021, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove via cctalk wrote:
> Hmm now that I'm reminded that a large proportion of Commodore's
> "stuff" was IEEE 488 or a serialized version thereof.

Was that called "IEC"?

> I kind of want to see now if an IBV11 and Commodore 1541 can be abused
> into cooperating. (There'd need to be a small "box of stuff" to turn
> the real 488 bus to CBM's serial thing.)

I used to have an aftermarket drive for Commodore 64 made by MSD? that had
both the Commodore serial AND the full GPIB IEEE488 interfaces.  I cabled
that to an IEEE488 board on a PC, but then life got in the way, and I
never got around to mastering it.
It can be done, but I didn't do it.