SerialDisk (Re: LINCtape images)

Vincent Slyngstad vincent.slyngstad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 10:06:44 CDT 2021

On 11/2/2021 7:12 AM, Christian Corti via cctalk wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2021, Vincent Slyngstad wrote:
>> https://github.com/drovak/os8diskserver
>>
>> The current version should have no problems with the 8/I or with the
>> PDP-12. (Maybe even the straight-8, but I can't remember checking if
>> it is "increment and rotate" clean.  Doug might know.)
>
> Thanks. I've seen this, but the doc/comments apparently don't reflect
> the changes and modifications so I was thinking that this is the
> unpatched version.

The edit history in the handlers/*.pal reflect the driver changes, and
there's also a pile of useful changes to the installer, etc.  The github
per-file check-in comments aren't always that helpful.  The "history"
button in the upper right gives perhaps the best synopsis of the changes
on a "per commit" level.

If "RES/E" doesn't report version "I", you aren't running the latest.
(Kyle's code was through "E", Bob's code  was "F", CJL's code was "G"
and "H", and my KIE fix is "I".)

I also have lying around somewhere a bootable SerialDisk image I made
with LINCtape drivers, which I hope to actually run on my -12 someday.

CJL had some ideas about a SerialDisk for PQS?8 and other non-OS/8
operating systems, but I haven't seen any code for that.  (I also
disagree with his ideas about the need to switch to 128-word blocks.)

	Vince