8" disk drive questions...

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Nov 1 12:10:56 CDT 2021

On 11/1/21 8:24 AM, mike wrote:
> I use a few Shugart 8" single sided drives on my cp/m 2.2 machine. How do
> you make 'flippies'?
>
> Mike Zahorik

Simple enough--Get yourself a hand punch like this one:

https://www.swingline.com/c/punches/?rslt=34

Using an old floppy jacket (sans cookie), place it over the floppy you
want to convert to a flippie. but invert it.  Mark where the index
aperture is on the disk to be converted.  Do the same for the reverse
side of the disk.   Slip your punch between the jacket and cookie (using
a piece of paper on the cookie to prevent damage, and punch the marked
holes out on both sides.

You'll wind up with a disk that has 2 index apertures in the jacket.
You can now insert the disk, inverted in your single sided drive and use
the other side.   I'm a bit surprised that google doesn't turn up images
of such floppies.  I'll have to get a photo of one and post it somewhere.

--Chuck