VAXstation 4000/90 Diagnostics

emanuel stiebler emu at e-bbes.com
Sun May 23 12:37:27 CDT 2021

On 2021-05-21 16:38, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:
> Is anyone familiar with the 4000/90 diagnostics?  It looks like it will fail the test of the LCSPX graphics board, if it’s not plugged into a monitor, or is missing a loopback device. Is that correct?
>
> T 2 fails, but the manual makes it sound like I need a loopback

IIRC, it is normal that it fails, without a monitor attached.
Did you try to switch to serial console, if it still complains?
> T 100 succeeds when testing the LCSPX graphics board.
If you have amonitor attached, you would see some colors flipping and
some drawing being made on the screen

> The system had been a boat anchor until a short time ago, as the battery in the Dallas DS1287A RTC was dead.  Amazon just delivered two DS12887’s.  Once I replaced it, it came right up.  I was surprised to see I had a 4GB and a 2GB drive in it.

Which ones did you get? (source?)
Have to fix another two in the near future ...

> Now to dig out the mouse, and wait for the parts to hook it up to a monitor. :-)

Yes, the monitor cable is fun to look for ...

Cheers!