IBM PC Network

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sun May 23 00:00:31 CDT 2021

On 5/22/21 6:50 PM, Lyle Bickley via cctalk wrote:
> Wow, never heard of "Tokenray" ;)

Nor have I.

> BTW: 16 Mbit Token Ring was much more reliable (especially in "noisy"
> environments) and considerably faster with more consistent performance
> than 10 Mbit Ethernet.

I've heard tell that Token Ring worked MUCH better on extremely busy
networks.  Purportedly Ethernet starts having problems when there are
more and more systems and / or a higher and higher percentage of
utilization is happening.  I seem to remember that Ethernet had problems
starting about 80% utilization while Token Ring could easily handle 95%
utilization or higher.

> plus IBM never upgraded Token Ring past 16 Mbit.

Sure they did.

You can find commercial Token Ring cards that support, 4 Mbps, 16 Mbps,
/and/ *100* Mbps.  I see them on eBay monthly.

I heard that IBM developed 1,000 Mbps / 1 Gbps Token Ring in the lab.
But that no commercial products were ever made.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die