Looking for VAXSET Software Engineering Tools for VMS 4.x

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Fri May 14 09:16:39 CDT 2021

On 14/05/2021 13:40, Zane Healy wrote:
> Much to my surprise, I think I’m actually more interested in the Online Doc Library from ‘89 than in the CONDIST’s.  It immediately made me think of VTBOOK.  As of tomorrow, I’ll be on an 8-week Sabbatical, and I’m going to have to see about putting that Doc Library on PDXVAX, when taking a break from other projects.
>
> Zane

I don't know how to programmatically check that the data blocks in that
ISO are valid (by which I mean "match the original"). For backup
savesets then BACKUP/ANALYZE is at least a starting point and the
default is to write savesets with /CRC and to check the CRC on read. For
DECW$BOOK stuff, I have no idea how you can be confident that it is 100%
correct. Then again, it's just text you're going to read (line the
[.LINE_DOCS] stuff) so I guess it's not hugely critical.

Plus all the stuff I've recovered so far has at most 4096 missing bytes
I think, which is 8 blocks at most. So the odds that you'd hit something
bad are quite small.

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini