PDP-11 SPACEWAR running again!

Boris Gimbarzevsky boris at summitclinic.com
Tue May 11 01:00:13 CDT 2021

Thanks Mattis - watching an AR11 making that
oscilloscope display brings back a lot of
memories from my PDP-11 programming days.  Had
heard of spacewar in 1980, but was more
interested in playing around displaying data on
screen of a scope.  One of my jobs was to clean
up electrophysiology data for publication and
that meant removing noise in signal so had a
joystick system which could move and click on
point on screen I wanted deleted.  11/34 was fast
enough that we had an EE summer student create a
dot matrix character set so we could put captions
on our oscilloscope images.  Of course, only way
of getting hard copies of those was with an oscilloscope Polaroid camera.

Looking at the printouts that you're dealing
with, I had a hard time making out some of the
characters.  Can see individual dots in a number
of the characters and haven't found any OCR in
past that works well on them.  Had my MSc thesis
printed on and IBM lineprinter and looks good
from afar but couldn't get any OCR program to
digitize it properly.  At least the spacewar code is relatively short!

Boris Gimbarzevsky