Pipelining and Dec Jupiter thoughts....

Richard Curtis dick.curtis at ymail.com
Sat May 8 16:28:52 CDT 2021

 On Friday, May 7, 2021, 11:07 CDT, Zane Healy <healyzh at avanthar.com> wrote:
> These if I needed OpenVMS on a laptop, I'd simply run it via emulator or virtualization > (not an option for Itanium).  I gather that at least some development on OpenVMS 9.2
> is being done on VM's running on the developers laptops.

Well, the latest version shipping from Bolton is V9.0-H, which has the long-awaited support for VMware, and IIRC some non-zero number of compilers available.  It's still pretty well set in the "bleeding-edge" field of software though.  It's labelled as V90EAK, with the last three letters indicating "Early Adopters' Kit", and made available to a rather small number of VMS customers who are interested in making their own products run on X64-86 platforms (as well as work properly on Itanics running v9.x)
I don't know whether VSI has any particular policy about making the field test kits available to hobbyists/end-users quite yet.  Bear in mind that there's a LOT of VMS components which aren't really ready to use yet.  If memory serves, the V9.1 kit will also be labelled as 'field test', but will be made available to a larger number of customers/test sites, and is expected to include working versions of the components currently 'in progress'.
Regards,Dick