Lecture: Forth: from the minicomputer to the microcontroller, 2021-05-08, 19:00

Anke Stüber stueberahoo at yahoo.de
Fri May 7 08:14:46 CDT 2021

Hi all,

you're invited to the Update computer club[0] public lecture series
"Updateringar"[1]! Update is a Swedish computer club founded in 1983
whose members tinker with all kinds of computers, from Raspberry Pi to
PDP-12. The club has a big collection of historic computers. In this
lecture series we'll talk about everything related to computers:
Historic and modern computers, operating systems, programming, hardware
projects, creating art with computers, building a computer museum, and
more.

When:  2021-05-08, 19:00 CEST
Where: https://bbb.cryptoparty.se/b/upd-0mo-m2u-aq8

Forth: from the minicomputer to the microcontroller
Forth is an almost esoteric programming language in the eyes of most
modern programmers, but still worth learning if only to expand your
horizon. On modern microcontrollers the strengths that made Forth stand
out in on 1970s minicomputers are relevant once again: fast enough
execution, low worst case latency, full control over the system,
powerful metaprogramming, and interactive development. This presentation
will show how to overcome the initially near vertical learning curve and
get the Mecrisp Stellaris Forth system running on a STM32
microcontroller without breaking the bank. Prior exposure to
microcontrollers or assembler is helpful, but not required. Once the
Forth system is running we will use it to explore either the hardware
it's running on or its implementation and available implementation
tradeoffs.
Jan Bramkamp (CCCHB)

The lecture is free and open to everyone.

Upcoming: 2021-06-12, 19:00: How to start and run a computer museum.
Thiemo Eddiks (Oldenburger Computer-Museum)

Hope to see you there,
Anke

P.S.: I hope this is not too offtopic, but I assume there are people
interested in Forth here.

[0] http://www.update.uu.se/index_eng.html
[1] https://www.update.uu.se/wiki/doku.php/projekt:updateringar