Pipelining and Dec Jupiter thoughts....

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Fri May 7 01:34:35 CDT 2021

On 5/6/21 7:35 PM, Chris Zach via cctalk wrote:

> Ah well. I don't think it was evil marketing or VAX monsters that killed the KC10, it was simply the fact that the amazing instruction set
> couldn't be pipelined to make it more efficient for hardware and the memory management system wasn't as efficient as the pdp11/Vax MMU concept.

I've never found any documentation on what System Concepts did to make faster systems. Just crank up the clock speed?
DEC was already using ECL.

It was pretty sad reading all of the memos when I first dug them out of the DEC corporate archive at CHM.

I forget now if the architects for Jupiter were originally from IBM and got hired into DEC. Kotok wanted to go in
a completely different direction with 36 bit systems.