Motor generator

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Tue May 4 18:41:34 CDT 2021

On 2021-05-04 8:06 p.m., Donald via cctalk wrote:
> In the deep recesses of my mind I seem to remember something about S/360
> machines using a motor generator.
>

> If I am right was this to create a stable power source at a certain
> frequency or voltage?

Not just 360 but 370s as well, the 3031 I assisted with installing
hardware fixes on had one and I remember having to crank it up to run
diagnostics after a fix was installed.  They where designed to provide
stable power at a higher frequency, I seem to remember 600Hz but I may
be wrong it has been 40+ years. It was explained to me that by using a
higher frequency they could get by with smaller filter capacitors.  The
power supplies in the 3031 where all linear with monsters supplying 2V
at hundreds of amps.

Paul.