80286 Protected Mode Test

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Mon Mar 15 11:42:30 CDT 2021

On 3/15/21 7:23 AM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:
>      > From: Guy Sotomayor
>
>      > the LOADALL instructions including all of it's warts (and its inability
>      > to switch back from protected mode)
>
> Good to have that confirmed (for the 286; apparently it works in the 386).
The 386 loadall instruction was different (not really a surprise since
the internal microarchitecture was different).  The 386 didn't need to
do this "hack" because it had vm86 mode for tasks so that accomplished
what everyone was really using LOADALL on the 286 for.

>      > the other way to get back to real mode from protected mode is via a
>      > triple-fault.
>
> Any insight into why IBM didn't use that, but went with the (allegedly slow)
> keyboard hack?
At this point I don't recall.  But I suspect it was allegedly simpler
conceptually.

--
TTFN - Guy