VT340 Emulation

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sat Jun 26 12:24:34 CDT 2021

On 6/26/21 9:31 AM, Tapley, Mark B. via cctalk wrote:
> Are there any particular pitfalls I should watch out for with the
> FTDI device, when/if I can get back to working with it?

I've used -- what I'll generically call -- FTDI devices one or more
times a year for the last decade or more.  Admittedly I'm not asking
much of it; 115200, 8, n, 1, or 9600, 8, n, 1, to connect to serial
console ports on network equipment.

Aside:  I believe that Cisco started including such FTDI devices in some
of their equipment and only exposing the USB cable / port.  So all you
need is a passive USB cable -- easy enough to obtain -- and a new enough
OS that it includes drivers for FTDI ports -- also easy enough to obtain.

I do recall having problems with /some/ devices that fall into the FTDI
device category.  I don't know that they were FTDI /brand/ per se.  I
don't know if those problems were driver and / or hardware related.  But
I do know that the ones that had FTDI in their driver / device name (as
reported by Windows' Device Manager) tended to be more reliable and work
longer.  As in didn't die 6 months later.

I have one USB-to-Serial that I picked up out of a junk pile that has 16
(?) DE-9 male ports on it and one USB-B port on it.  It presents itself
to the computer as 16 discrete serial ports on one USB device.  It was
definitely worth the price of digging through the bone pile in 95 degree
heat.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die