VT340 Emulation

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sat Jun 26 12:15:26 CDT 2021

> On Jun 26, 2021, at 11:31 AM, Tapley, Mark B. via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> At one point FTDI had a reasonably good reputation, and I own one of those devices based on that reputation. I have used it with no obvious problems connecting a TRS Color Computer 3 to an iMac G3 for a floppy-drive emulator (DriveWire on the iMac), but I think only for that application so far.
>
> Are there any particular pitfalls I should watch out for with the FTDI device, when/if I can get back to working with it?

I once bought a USB serial port device with a DE-9 connector on it, Belkin I think.  It worked somewhat.  Might have needed its own driver, which on a Mac is highly unusual.  It gave me enough trouble I set it aside.

Since then I've bought several different flavors of the FTDI USB serial device, one RS-232, one 5 volt logic, one 3.3 volt logic (the latter two with 6-pin connectors to fit onto pin headers such as are found on the BeagleBone Black).  They have always worked flawlessly (on my Mac), at a number of data rates: 4800, 9600, 19.2k, 115k.  I'll admit I haven't needed stranger cases like 5 or 6 bit data, or exotic slow speeds.  As I mentioned, if that need arises and FTDI isn't good enough I'll have the RPico to do the job.

	paul