VT340 Emulation

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Thu Jun 24 09:36:37 CDT 2021

On Jun 24, 2021, at 6:30 AM, Mark Matlock <mark at matlockfamily.com> wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2021, at 1:25 AM, Zane Healy <healyzh at avanthar.com> wrote:
>>
>> And all this time I thought that I wanted a VT525!  How much are the VTLAN40’s going for?
>>
>> Zane
>
> Zane,
>    If you explain to Mitch Miller at Keyways that you are a hobbyist, he will sell them for $400,
> at least he has in the past. He also has new and used LK411-AA keyboards. The last one I
> bought was $190 for new. That seems expensive but it has the round connector like a PC
> used to used for keyboard before USB. It might be possible to make an adapter to convert
> an old VT420 keyboard to the round connector if one knew how the pin outs for each mapped?
>
>  On the SVGA displays, I’ve been using the NEC Accusync LCD 71VM and it works well.
> As the unit comes it will operate at 800 x 600 256 color, but if you go to the Windows 3.1
> settings it can be changed to 1024 x 768 x 16 colors which works better to have multiple
> sessions windows open at once.
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,
Thanks!  That’s not bad at all considering what VT525’s are going for, and I’d really like to get a terminal with ReGIS Graphics (though I finally have a VAXstation 4000/90 running as a VAXstation).  Mind you, I’m not sure why I need one.

I wonder if an LK450-AA keyboard will work, I have a couple with WPS key-caps.  I know those will work on an AlphaStation.  The VTLAN40 page indicates it needs a LK412-AQ for the WPS version of the keyboard, so i’d probably better figure that in the cost.  This makes me wonder, has anyone ever documented what all the different keyboards go to, and how they’re different?

I’m more awake this morning, and took another look through the webpage, this time on my computer, rather than an iPod.  This looks like the perfect replacement for the VT420 & DECserver 90TL in my Office.  The ReGIS graphics helps to sell it.  Most of the time I simply use SecureCRT on my Mac Pro, but occasionally I need a real DEC keyboard.

Zane