VT100 colors

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 21 12:12:35 CDT 2021

On 21/06/2021 17:10, Antonio Carlini wrote:
> On 21/06/2021 15:39, Paul Koning wrote:
>>
>> You're thinking of the VT200, which came in three colors, although at
>> DEC fortunately they never inflicted green on us :-).  But all the
>> earlier DEC video terminals (VT05, VT50/52/61t/62, VT20, VT71) were
>> white.  The only exception I can think of is the GT40, probably
>> because that one benefits from having fairly long persistence which
>> was available in green phosphor but not in white.
>

> The User Guide doesn't say and I don't have an IPB I can find. I do
> remember the VT100s in the computer room at Uni being green and the
> VT52 clones (Dataram?) being white. But that's a while ago so maybe my
> wetware is wrong. If and when I can get to where I think my VT100 is I
> can look at powering it up. Powering it up may take much longer than
> getting to it though :-)
>

> My VT220 is (or was, it's been a while ...) green phosphor and my
> VT420 is amber ... I like both.

I found the IPB on bitsavers and that lists the P4 phosphor and a later
CRT with the P40 phosphor. I think both of those are white.

I did find one seemingly untouched image of a VT100 with green text:
https://vistapointe.net/cliparts/getsecond. That does appear to be a
VT100 (not a VT102/VT103 etc) and is green.

I did find many more white phosphor pictures than green (and no amber at
all).

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini