Early Programming Books

Paul Birkel pbirkel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 07:39:32 CDT 2021

Dave;

I'm much more curious about programming books that were *not* machine
specific.
That is, about "general principles" of designing/preparing software for
execution.

Of course, one needs a language; McCracken (1957) defines TYDAC.
Much later (1968) Knuth defines MIX.

In between perhaps one could argue that ALGOL 58 qualifies as such a
language-for-demonstration, but I don't believe that there were any books
specifically about programming in ALGOL 58.  I presume that there were
eventually such books for ALGOL 60.

Then there's FORTRAN, in which context I first encountered McCracken (1961:
Guide to FORTRAN Programming).

Obviously my first example was EDSAC-centric.  And yours is specific to the
Manchester MK1.