BA11 power filter

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Jun 2 08:11:39 CDT 2021

> On Jun 2, 2021, at 6:34 AM, Steve Maddison via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 at 22:38, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure if you're talking about the same sort of device I had trouble with, so FYI: the Pro power supply is a box the size of an old-fashioned Bible, with a CEE power inlet at one end.  That inlet is actually part of a sealed metal box containing a power filter.
>>
>> Mine decided to let out its magic smoke, in quite spectacular fashion, stinking up the workshop and leaking evil looking black tarry stuff over the insides of the power supply.  But the supply appeared to be intact in other respects.
>>
>> I couldn't find a matching filter, so instead I found a functionaly similar filter that's physically smaller.  I then created an adapter plate with a hole to accept the new filter, and a flange sized to match the old one.  My sheet metal skills aren't great so it doesn't look all that professional but it's plenty good to get the job done.
>>
>> FYI, the new filter is this one: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/schurter-inc/5120.2006.0/1843934 -- about half the size of the one it replaces.
>>

> Yeah, I think we're talking about the same thing although mine looks
> to be significantly larger than your replacement, measuring about
> 120x75x45mm. From what I've read they are both sealed/soldered and
> potted so that would explain the black goo. Fortunately mine didn't
> quite get to that stage although it was suitably "fragrant" for sure.
> I will double check the specs but your replacement looks like it'd
> work for me too - very kind of them to put the schematic on the
> outside :) Thanks for the link!
>
> -Steve

You're welcome.  There are plenty of other filters similar to the one I mentioned; it just happens that this one was a good replacement for the one that failed in my system.  For that matter, there are a number of other suppliers.  If you prefer screw mount rather than snap-in, that's available.  Integrated switches and/or fuse holders I assume are there as well, I didn't look.  Also various filter configurations and current ratings.

	paul