Reading MT/ST Tapes

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Sat Jul 31 12:19:42 CDT 2021

On 7/31/21 9:19 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 7/31/21 8:55 AM, Paul Berger via cctalk wrote:
>
>> Since there was still a few 360s around when I started I also got to see
>> the inside of a 1052 a few times, they are a really stripped down
>> keyboardless selectric.  They used a function cam to space and since
>> they did not have a tab rack they would space a lot which would cause
>> the space cam to wear, I remember one that was so worn  that when it
>> cycled it wobbled very noticeably, the customer would not let us replace
>> it as this was the console for the 360 and they did not want it
>> unavailable for the time it would take to replace it.  Some customers
>> apparently would have a spare 1052 onsite.  The keyboard on the 1052 is
>> the keyboard from a keypunch machine.
> Did the 1620 Mod II and the 1130 use the same Selectric mechanism as the
> S/260 1052?  I remember that the Model B on the CADET always felt as if
> it would shake itself to pieces every time the carriage returned.

I was "loaned" a 1052 when I was in college and it was built like a
tank.  Much heavier than typical selectrics from what I could tell.

I built my own 48v drivers to run it and wrote  bunch of code (8080/z80)
to run it as an ASCII terminal (yea, I know). Unfortunately, I've lost
all of it in various moves/purges.

--
TTFN - Guy