cc:Mail version numbers

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Thu Jan 21 09:59:25 CST 2021

I was using CC:Mail at Westinghouse in 1988. Very small mailbox limits,
I remember having to run compacts on the Novell server a lot back then.

The system was using a flat file database on the server, each client
would interact directly with the mail database. Easy to corrupt, big
pain in the rear.

No VAPs were used on the server, so it was truly client only. About 40
people in the office if I remember.

Had a CC:Mail Async gateway set up to communicate with the office in
Beltsville MD.

When I went to the Computer Society in 1995, we had CC:Mail deployed
without a server. Implememented a server, the system still needed
constant compacting and purging (2gb mail limit or something like that)
so I went with Lotus Domino Notes and never looked back. The SMTP
gateway for CC:Mail would crash a lot, so switching it from DOS to OS2
fixed the reliability problems.

Say what you will about Notes, but it *never* corrupted the mail data
store. Ran that on OS/2 server, then Windows NT 4.0.