Compuserve

James B DiGriz jbdigriz at dragonsweb.org
Sun Jan 10 20:16:06 CST 2021

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 17:12:04 -0700
Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 1/10/21 3:03 PM, James B DiGriz via cctalk wrote:
> > Fidonet echos.
>
> I have a copy of a friend's BBS from back in the early 2000's.
>
> I'm sure that there is a way to extract messages from the echos.
>
> It's Synchronet if anyone wants to direct me how to extract things.

Synchronet is still very much "a thing". I'm not familiar with the
message base format it uses, and a lot will depend on the version you
have, but there should be utilities available for exporting
messages directly from a mounted disk image, or at least a running
instance. Should something be available  on the Synchronet website or
Vertrauen BBS. There is a support echo still on Fidonet, too, iirc.

Worst case you can read messages to a capture log, or export .QWK to an
offline reader with any version since the early '90s.