DEDICATED HOBBYIST ALERT: IBM AS/400 9406-F2 for cheap sale in Germany

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Tue Jan 5 15:45:52 CST 2021

On Tue, Jan 05, 2021 at 10:02:02PM +0100, mazzinia at tin.it wrote:
> Well,
>
> The whole translation is more on the lines that it hasn't been
> started since 3 years and they can't be bothered to check if it
> still works with the mains not plugged since then. Thus the risk to
> turn it on is on the buyer.

Yep. I am used to this kind of description. I sometimes see it on
certain Polish auctioning site. The seller is honest - they say it
openly that they cannot take on the risk. "We also sell power supply
to this laptop on separate auction but whatever stopped us from
plugging one into another and into the wall"...

I guess it is more complicated to check mainframe's correct
operation. And I would want a very specific info about what is in the
box. I am not sure, for example, if hard drives for it can be easily
bought.

Then again, if it worked perfectly and did not broke, there is good
chance it might work for a long time. At least this is what older
mainframes did (from what I have read).

[...]
> Another small thing... I helped carrying that model up into our
> office, years ago... good luck to whoever purchases it because it's
> some serious weight

I would also make sure it could be powered on without blowing the fuses
out of the wall... Ok, after consulting IBM page [
https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/printableversion.wss?docURL=/common/ssi/rep_sm/3/872/ENUS9406-_h03/index.html
] - it says, 300~~700 watts, depending on configuration.

Last but not least, my limited understanding is, the owner would need
either control panel or operation console (looks like a
laptop... perhaps?) and cables to connect them into the black
refrigerator. Without enabling js for this page I cannot see what is
pictured on very small photos. I suppose it will not boot (ipl)
without panel/console.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola