Intel Developers' Insight CD-ROM collection archived anywhere?

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at orcam.me.uk
Wed Feb 17 17:47:16 CST 2021

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020, Glen Slick via cctalk wrote:

> >  Sadly neither seems to be among the files I have copied.  I could yet
> > check Intel Dec 1995 Data on Demand discs I happen to have, and do have
> > here, but they are cumbersome to handle as they use a proprietary format
> > requiring a DOS app to access, and yet more hassle to get anything
> > exported (assuming I can recall how I did that many years ago), so it'll
> > take a little.
>
> If you have some Intel "Data on Demand" CD-ROMs it would be nice if
> .ISO images of those could be captured and uploaded somewhere. Then
> leave it up to anyone interested to deal with extracting documents
> from them.

 Hmm, I'm not sure of the copyright status, even that those were available
free of charge.  It would be good to have the stuff preserved though, so
I'll see if I can get some ack from Intel.  I have good experience overall
with such enquiries.  Ditto about the Insight CDs.

> I found this document while looking online. It's not clear to me if
> that is a list of documents that are contained on the December 1995
> "Data on Demand" CD-ROMs or if some of those are only available
> elsewhere.
>
> http://alt.ife.tugraz.at/datashts/intel/litguide.pdf

 This looks to me like a list of orderable hardcopy documents.  I still
have a long line of those on a bookshelf.  But indeed most if not all were
available on said CDs, and some were only there.

 Anyway, sorry to take so long, but such is life.  I finally got to my set
of Insight CDs and guess what?  First that I looked at was October 1996,
my oldest, and it does have what you look for:

$ ls -la fbldr16*.zip
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 4619852 Jul  8  1996 fbldr16.zip
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 1359076 Jul  8  1996 fbldr16a.zip
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 1253664 Jul  8  1996 fbldr16b.zip
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 1076370 Jul  8  1996 fbldr16c.zip
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root  930808 Jul  8  1996 fbldr16d.zip
$

 Do you still need it?  I have lost the FTP site I used to host things on
and I can't afford the time to set up a new one right away.  But I can
e-mail you this stuff offlist if your mailbox can swallow it.  The choice
is either one big file, first in the listing above, or the other four,
which are the same contents, split, that I would send in a separate e-mail
each.  I could split it further too, I know how it worked in the old days.

 By the look of it all the documentation included with FLASHBuilder is in
the form of MS Windows help files rather than PDF.

 Either way please let me know.

  Maciej