One more thing to fix... HP9000/380 power supply

davidkcollins2 at gmail.com davidkcollins2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 21:22:10 CST 2021

Carlos, from my experience in fixing a number of switch mode supplies in HP gear, if the supply is dead but you have full voltage across the big filter caps (~340v DC), it's typically a problem with the power supply to the regulator that drives the primary switching transistor.  That 'power supply' can be as simple as a high value resistor (maybe 470K), usually 1 watt or so, that has just gone open circuit with no external signs of failure.

Assuming you are aware of the risks inherent in opening these supplies up and applying power, you might want to check if you have the high voltage DC and if so, do some basic checks of components on the mains side of the main transformer.   All the usual suggestions around checking for leaky/failed filtering caps on the low voltage DC outputs also apply of course.

David Collins