VAX/VMS 4.0 source listings scans

Joerg Hoppe ioerg.hoppe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 09:19:56 CST 2021

Paul,
> Full micro fiche scans of VAX/VMS 4.0/4.1 source listings are now published at
> http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/vax/microfiche/vms-source-listings/AH-BT13A-SE__VAX-VMS_V4.0_SRC_LST_MCRF/AH-BT13A-SE__VAX-VMS_V4.0_SRC_LST_MCRF/
> Did I miss it, or is the kernel missing?

I learned from

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/vax/vms/training/EY-00014-DP_VMS_Internals_and_Data_Structures_1984.pdf

that they don't have a "kernel",  but an "executive".  From the Preface
chapter:

"The words "system" or "VMS system" are used to describe the entire
software package that is a part of a VAX-11 system, including privileged
processes, utilities, and other support software as well as the
executive itself.
The word "executive" refers to those parts of the VMS operating system
that reside in system virtual address space.
The executive includes the contents of the file SYS.EXE, device drivers,
and other code and data structures
loaded at initialization time, including RMS and the system message file. "

Joerg