PDP-11/70 Boards

wrcooke at wrcooke.net wrcooke at wrcooke.net
Wed Dec 8 17:13:13 CST 2021

Variable transformers (generic. Variac is a trademarked brand of them) are rated in amps output, not in watts or, more accurately, volt-amps. That is because they are rated to deliver that current at ANY voltage. The main limiting factor is flux density in the core. The flux density is proportional to the current. So, the rated current (e.g. 2.5 amps in the original question) can be drawn at ANY output voltage without overloading the core. At 1V out, you get 2.5 volt-amps. At 120V out you get 300 volt-amps. The current is the same, so the IR (resistive) losses of voltage are the same.

If you draw more current than the rated current, then the core will be overloaded. It will most likely overheat and will possibly be permanently damaged. In addition, the IR losses will increase, causing more overheating.